Sunday, June 20, 2010

My Dad

For 50 years now I have loved my dad so much.  He wasn't always the best dad, but he has shown me that people can change.  He and my mom were married in their teens and had me 9 months later.  My dad was in the Navy for 20 years and was gone on a ship or in Vietnam for a lot of my childhood.  My parents divorced when I was 17.  They both remarried and were very happy.  My mom was always the strong one and always there for all 4 of us kids.  Unfortunately, I lost my mom 7 years ago.  My dad led a bit of a selfish life then.  He went on with his life and we did not see or hear from him as much as I would have liked.  He was very judgmental and rude and crass.  I always had so much anxiety when he would visit.  I was always walking on egg shells around him.  I didn't want my kids to piss him off or try his patience.  We had a few humdinger arguments and sometimes we didn't talk or long periods of time.

Finally 3 years ago, he went for help and discovered he suffered from PTSD and had sleep apnea.  Once he had his C-pack and meds and went to anger management classes, he was like a new dad!  He was kind and generous and always asked about all of our kids.  At last, my dad was happy and we were happy to be around him.

He came to visit us last weekend and it was a joy to see him.  He is so excited about my weight loss and always says "That's my girl"!  I am reveling in it.  I can't wait to see him in October when my daughter gets married!

I guess all I want to say is that if you have a trying relationship with either parent, there is always hope.  People really do have the ability to change.....for the better.

Happy Father's Day, Daddy!  I love you.

11 comments:

  1. Thank you for this post Vickie...it truly touched me....you're so sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great story Vickie. It shows that sometimes relationships can change no matter how late.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful post and a beautiful picture. Its so nice to hear a story with a happy ending. Glad you are enjoying your time together xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely story - I love a happy ending :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post...I miss my Dad tremendously but your post made me sit and think of him for a little while.

    ReplyDelete
  6. how lovely Vickie. So glad he came around :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm happy you have regained your relationship with your father Vickie. I know that I am blessed to have had the relationship that I had with my father. I hope that you enjoy many more years with your father.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great post. I'm happy for you and I pray that my children's father will someday be the kind of man that they deserve to have for a dad. You give me hope.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love happy endings. Parents are so important - I'm so sad when I hear about parents being crappy to their kids. I'm not perfect, but always put my kids first.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow Vickie, You sound wondefully happy!, and I am happy for you! There comes a time in our lives when everything finally comes into perspective, and you are there girl! Congratulations to you! And you have a wonderful supportive husband, as you deserve. I am enjoying following your blog and I am very proud of you for all of your victories! Love you and miss you. Karen R from t-town

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is a wonderful post. Seriously, my heart is swelling... that has got to feel so amazing after all that. It does give hope. Thanks for sharing your story.

    ReplyDelete