Saturday, January 22, 2011

My How Things Have Changed!

Yesterday was my official first day of work at the Real Estate office.  I actually have my own desk!  This may seem like a strange thing to be excited about, but my "office" for the past 30 + years has been a delivery truck or a school bus.  I dressed in business casual and felt very comfortable around people I didn't know.  That is huge for me.  I usually turn beet red in the face and sweat profusely because I am so self conscious of my weight.  What a great feeling.

So, John and I decided to go out to eat at Ruby Tuesday's.  I got the salad bar...well about 1/3 of a salad plate full and a cup of their White Chicken Chili.  I ate most of my salad and about 4 bites of the soup and I was full.

Sitting across from us were an overweight couple.  The woman had her salad plate piled high.  She ate most of the salad and the little rolls they give you.  Then to my shock and amazement, here comes a giant double burger and fries!  She proceeded to the all of the burger and fries!  I felt so sorry for her.  Actually, a year ago, that would have been me!  I actually get grossed out seeing people eat all of that food.  I wish I could talk to her and tell her about the band.  The band has changed my life and the way I think about food forever.  Thank God!

Have a wonderful weekend everyone,

Miss Vickie

10 comments:

  1. I am just now starting the whole people watching thing in restaurants! it really is amazing how different things are!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have had this same experience. It also amazes me when people take HUGE bites of food. It's crazy to watch. It's amazing how different you view the world with band goggles. When I see overweight people I always want to tell them about the band. You can just see sadness in their eyes. I know what it looks like because I used to see it every time I looked in the mirror.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i have had the exact experience many times...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have to try really hard not to look at heavy people with pity or even to touch my skinny husbands extending belly.

    I hated people looking at me like that!!

    We are sooooo fortunate!!!

    ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Isn't it odd to have the shoe on the other foot. Oddly I find myself watching others eat now too--realizing that I used to eat like that. I wonder how many people looked at me with pity or possibly even disgust. Thank goodness for a new life!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think it is so strange when someone orders fries with the burger too. I can't even imagine eating that much food! I am so grateful for my new life!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank goodness for the band. It's nice that since I've gotten the band my husband eats less because I'm eating less.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's a real eye opener, isn't it? It's hard not to feel sorry or judge them when that was you not so long ago. You just want to yell "don't eat all that, it's making you fat!!!".

    ReplyDelete
  9. The proportion distortion is a little frightening! I hope I don't ever lose my new found sense of what an appropriate portion really is/should be. Just a couple of years ago, I was that woman eating the salad, the entire burger, the fries... and then would be ready for the next meal a few hours after that. Bands are the best.

    ReplyDelete
  10. OMG...I too feel like you at times. It does now gross me out to see people eat like that and I too feel sorry for them. I just know that I was at that point once and a lot of us did not want to hear it. We were just comfortable. I ♥ my band.

    Congrats on the new confidence! You rock!

    ReplyDelete